Eco Architect, Sustainability Expert, Resource Efficiency Leader
Mark Thomson has developed a national reputation in Australia for championing Sustainable Design and Development as a practising Architect, Commercial Interior Designer and Environmental Consultant.
Mark Thomson is a multi-awarded Queensland eco-Architect with 27 years as a Company Director in Architecture. He co- founded the Centre for Sub Tropical Design in 2005, whilst an Adjunct Professor at QUT and was Corporate Sustainability Principal of the Schiavello Group of Companies, Australia’s largest commercial furniture manufacturer and fitout construction organisation.
Mark is a regular Conference speaker who passionately advocates ESD, (ecological sustainable development) low carbon construction and “Responsible Wood”.
His consulting business “Eco Effective Solutions” offers design, project management, research and resource management services, to effectively deliver healthy living and working environments. Current projects include: affordable independent living quarters, modular/ prefabricated housing, commercial office refurbishments and international hotel sustainability audits.
He is the Immediate past President of the AGDF (Australian Green Development Forum ), a Board member of the Griffith University Eco Centre and an Accredited Professional in national Greenstar and international Earthcheck rating tools. Mark has been appointed a Prize judge in the 2018 and 2019 World Architecture Festival in Amsterdam and since 2013 has judged multiple categories in the Banksia Australian Sustainability Awards.
Mark believes that design, implemented intelligently is the solution for a positive low carbon sustainable future
Accredited Professional Experience
• Synergy Office Complex, Kelvin Grove Urban Village. 5 Star Office Design v1, for Citimark
• Joint Control Centre, Zillmere. 6 Star v2, for Dept. of Project Services, Qld Government
• The Corso, North Lakes. 5 Star Public Building PILOT, for Moreton Bay Regional Council
• PDT Architects, Offices. Brisbane 5 star Office Interiors v1.1, for Schiavello Construct.(Qld)
• NDY Offices, Brisbane. 5 Star Office Interiors v1.1, for Schiavello Constructions (Qld)
• Lot 12, Trade Coast Central. for Energex 4 star, Industrial Pilot.
• Southpoint Emporium Hotel, Southbank Brisbane 2017 Gold rating ( Earthcheck Accredited Professional)
• Regal Hotel, Hong Kong Airport 2018 Gold Rating target ( Earthcheck Auditor)
• Mark has developed a national reputation for championing Sustainable Commercial and Residential Design as a practicing Architect, Interior Designer and Sustainability Consultant. Having over 30 years of Industry experience over many completed new buildings, fit outs and refurbishment work, Mark has pioneered Eco Interiors, championed ecologically sustainable developments and developed resource efficiency strategies in Australian Commercial and multi-Residential buildings.
• As Co –author of the 2007 London published book, The Environmental Brief- Pathways to Green Design, Mark developed his understanding of the importance of good project brief taking and client communication for project outcomes. His ability to achieve successful project outcomes is often achieved through great teamwork, a persistent focus on the critical issues and managing project risks.
• Through various practical research projects, Mark has developed skills and knowledge in Indoor Environment Quality, Energy efficiency, Workplace productivity, workflow management, recycling initiatives and material resourcefulness.
• Mark’s knowledge and industry experience has resulted in him being called to Judge at the 2018 World Architecture Festival and the 2018 Australian Banksia Sustainability Awards
Working with Mark has always been a pleasure and inspiration. I value his broad experience both in life and the green building industry and look forward to our current and future collaborative projects to achieve a more sustainable and innovative build environment
At the start of the year, along with over 500 architects around the country, we shared our commitment to going carbon neutral in 2020. We acknowledge that a lot has happened since then, however it's important to...
Originally published 26 March 2020: https://www.thefifthestate.com.au/articles/nows-the-time-to-recalibrate-to-a-low-carbon-future/ Once we’ve recalibrated our lives, with a heightened awareness of health and our environment, the low carbon economy will be the...
First Published on Linkedin on June 22, 2019: Circular economy funding needs oversight says Responsible Wood With governments funding startups in the social enterprise and circular economy space there is a need to keep an eye on the outcomes being delivered, according...